The three Democratic Party candidates for governor are meeting tonight in a debate that is being broadcast Arizona PBS, KAET-TV, Channel 8, and live streamed on azcentral.com.

State Sen. Steve Farley, D-Tucson, Kelly Fryer and David Garcia will be on stage beginning at 7 p.m.

The debate is hosted by The Arizona Republic / azcentral.com, Arizona PBS and the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication at Arizona State University.

Republic reporter Yvonne Wingett Sanchez and Ted Simons, host of Channel 8’s “Arizona Horizon,” the nightly public affairs program, are the moderators.

Listen to our politics podcast “The Gaggle” on:

Apple Podcasts – https://apple.co/2N30z9E
SoundCloud – https://bit.ly/2wezLff
Stitcher – https://bit.ly/2BsCLdN

Marvin Gibbs · August 1, 2018 at 6:24 am

The water question: No one mentioned water bottling corporations or foreign cattle grazing operations. Why? What about the increased utility rates for communities who conserve water effectively? What about rain water collection and building codes that include pervious paving to help replenish our watersheds? Immigration: Mexico is an important ally. Many republicans believe that democrats want open borders. People are scared that migrants are stealing resources from U.S. citizens. I see this constant arguing over tons of misinformation. Would someone please lay out the real facts and address them on an itemized basis? Education: We seem to be caught in a changing platform. Public schools have been a tradition for eons but society seems to be dividing itself between religious traditions and socioeconomic discrepancies. As our education systems become the victim to these arguments, we are losing fundamental ground. Funding public education seems to be a futile battle. In my eyes, a collective progressive mindset would find a way to begin a conversation about education which could include modern technology, re-distribution of available funding, and a fresh new approach that could help balance the difficult challenges that the loss of traditional public schools might entail. In this debate, I am hearing a lot of concern for humanity and heart felt sentiment, but no solid solutions. C'mon, progressives. Live up to your namesakes. The GOP has a lot of dark money and not only do we have to learn to fend for ourselves, we have to take responsibility for the sanctity of the people. This is our time to shine.

Deanna Pine · August 1, 2018 at 5:30 pm

I have lived in Phoenix for over 50 years and if these candidates are saying there is not a problem with illegal immigration here they are doing so to help their own agenda. I will not vote for anyone who says there is no problem with illegal immigration because I have witnessed the problem for a very long time.

CR Conway · August 2, 2018 at 12:43 am

aren't they supposed to debate each other?

Emily Evans · August 2, 2018 at 8:57 am

I thought this was a great debate! My first choice is Fryer. I hope she wins.

Maria Schick · August 5, 2018 at 2:35 pm

I could never ever vote for any party that would give AMNESTY to illegal aliens since we already tried Amnesty before in 1986 and it only encouraged millions more illegal aliens to come here illegaly
I have no idea when the democrats became the party of illegal alien workers… It's sad really

Maria Schick · August 5, 2018 at 2:39 pm

We need mandatory E-VERIFY with hard prison time for all employers that are caught hiring even one illegal alien worker and in a few weeks most illegal aliens will go back home after the employers won't hire them.
Always remember this~~~>> Amnesty only encourages more illegal aliens to come here illegally.

Helena Marinovic · August 6, 2018 at 4:19 pm

There is no way Fryer stands a chance in general election if nominated.

nancy waldrop · August 8, 2018 at 10:13 pm

WHAT ABOUT THE LACK OF WATER LAWS IN THE WHOLE STATE?

Kimberley Bradley · August 10, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Fryer – ALL the way…!

Eli Westphal · August 12, 2018 at 9:29 pm

more of the same…

andrew paul · August 16, 2018 at 6:39 am

Fryer seems compassionate, Farley seems angry (in a good way) , and garcia seems non chalant. hmmmmm

Justin L · August 16, 2018 at 10:53 am

Fryer is easily the best option

dennis garcia · August 16, 2018 at 7:07 pm

Both these dems suck!

Susan Hill · August 19, 2018 at 3:25 pm

We are fortunate to have 3 capable, qualified candidates. All of them would serve our state well and I'm having a difficult time deciding on one. Very impressed with Fryer (but I have already early-voted)

Eric Reyes · August 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm

Well, I was tossed a little but looks like I’m going with the more focused, passionate Fryer. There is one item I don’t agree on but I know the other items I do and I can tell she’ll be a real honest sincere fighter. Thanks for airing this and good luck to all candidates.

Roberto Tejeda · August 29, 2018 at 2:00 am

I liked Fryer the most, seems very genuine in her concern regarding corruption. Voted for her today.